Німецьке дослідницьке товариство
LETTER OF INTENT
on German-Ukrainian Academic Cooperation
between the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft e.V.
and National Research Foundation of Ukraine
The Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft e.V. , represented by its president, Prof Dr. Katja Becker, located at Kennedyallee 40, 53175 Bonn, Germany, hereafter referred to as DFG, and the National Research Foundation of Ukraine, represented by its president, Prof. Dr. Leonid Yatsenko, located at Borysa Hrinchenka 1, 01001 Kyiv, Ukraine, hereafter referred to as NRFU, both entities hereafter referred to as “the Parties”, agree to support scientific collaboration in joint research projects.
Areas of Collaboration
The cooperation between DFG and NRFU intents to support the following joint research initiatives to be conducted by scientific partners from Germany and Ukraine:
- Joint research projects
- Joint seminars, workshops and conferences within the joint research projects
- Exchange of researchers, PostDocs and PhD-students within the joint research projects
- The planning and coordination of joint activities as may be mutually agreed upon
- Exchange of experts to conduct scientific expertise
In principle, each Party will cover the expenses of personnel, consumables, equipment, workshops, travel and staying costs for their participants. Financial resources shall be contributed by the Parties on the basis of availability of funds.
The following details of implementation are agreed as follows:
- The propsals will be evaluated through peer review
- The parties will make their funding decisions separately according to their respective rules, regulations and practices
- Funding will be granted only if both funding organizations give a positive vote for funding. Further details of any joint activity shall be laid down in an Implementation Plan to be decided upon between the Parties in writing.
Transitional provisions for the projects approved by SFFRU and DFG
According to Decree No 528 of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine dated July 4, 2018, the National Research Foundation of Ukraine (NFRU) is the assignee of all property, rights, and responsibilities of the State Fund for Fundamental Researches of Ukraine (SFFRU). With regard to the joint SFFRU-DFG-Call for research projects (SFFRU international competition F81) the Parties agree to the following:
- NRFU as a successor of the SFFRU will take all necessary steps, according to the national legislation, for the financing of all projects of the joint SFFRU−DFG international call (F81) that were competitively selected and have been agreed upon for funding by both DFG and SFFRU.
- DFG provides the NRFU Scientific Council with a list of the joint Ukrainian-German projects that are currently financed by the German side within the SFFRU−DFG joint international call (F81).
All questions or disputes related to the Interpretation or Implementation of this Letter of Intent shall be settled by amicable agreement between the Parties.
Intellectual Property Rights
The Parties shall encourage scientists and scientific institutions, receiving funds from the Parties, to enter into agreements to ensure the effective protection and adequate distribution of intellectual property and rights of use resulting from projects funded by the Parties under this Letter of Intent.
This Letter of Intent shall only be amended by the Parties’ mutual consent in a document signed by both Parties specifying the dates on which the amendments shall come into effect.
(1) This Letter of Intenet shall come into effect as from the date on which it was signed. It will end five (5) years after the date on which it was signed. Well in advance of the end of the term of this Letter of Intent the Parties will decide on an extension of this Letter of Intent.
(2) Either Party may terminate this Letter of Intent by giving six months written notice to the other Party.
(3) The termination of this Letter of Intent according to (1) or (2) shall not affect activities already approved by the Parties or in progress under the terms of this Letter of Intent.
(1) This Letter of Intent is signed in two originals.
Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft e.V. (DFG) National Research Foundation of Ukraine(NRFU)
Prof. Dr. Katja Becker Prof. Dr. Leonid Yatsenko